Thursday 11 December 2014

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
from goodreads
4 stars

I would consider myself to be an introvert. I like being able to have quiet so I can focus on the task at hand. At the end of the day I am glad when the kids are in bed so I know I have my physical space to myself. I can be by myself and be quite content in my own company. Small talk sucks, and I like to observe and analyze before jumping into things. I can be shy on occasion but also outgoing when the occasion calls for it. But, I do value my quiet time.

It can be hard sometimes navigating in a world that likes people who are always bright, bubbly, and almost exhibitionist. I like keeping private things private and don't often need the whole world to see every single detail of my life.

What I think we all are trying to do or at least should be doing, whether we are an introvert or an extrovert is to be striking some sort of balance. We need to find ways to bring the strengths of being an introvert and being an extrovert together in some way. Both personality types have beautiful qualities and it is finding those qualities and using them to reach our full potential that is so important. I think that might take some time, but, it would be worth the effort.

Synopsis

Susan Cain take an in-depth look into the world of the introvert. She looks at how workplace configurations, the extrovert ideal and selling ourselves can affect the introvert. She also quietly suggests that the world may need re-evaluate the way they view those people of a more quiet nature.

My Thoughts

What an interesting read. While she goes a bit more in-depth then what I would about what is an introvert, and people being more sensitive etc. this was really enlightening. The amount of research she did was shown in the details.

What I found interesting was the perception of trust and expertise in the workplace. If you are not loud and overbearing it seems that people aren't going to take your word for it. While it is necessary to present your findings, I find it quite crazy that just because you aren't loud and brazen your thoughts would not be as valued, even though they may be more correct.

I liked how she compared western culture and eastern culture. The different values each culture places on personality. It was quite interesting. I also thought the analysis of open plan work places was interesting. I had never thought about open plan work places and how it might not work for all people before. The more I read, the more I realized I wouldn't like the open plan concept as much, it is nice to have a private place to just knuckle down and get to work.

I love how she doesn't say introversion is the best and extroversion is bad. She shows that both are necessary and that each personality type can learn from each other. I think this book is just the beginning of a very interesting conversation about what we value in our life. I also think this should be a must read for all business school instructors. Perhaps wall street blunders could have been avoided if the introverts (who were trying to warn their bosses) were paid the respect and attention that they warranted (though perhaps that is a bit simplistic).

While some parts of the book were a bit dry and hard to get through, on the whole this book was engaging and very thought provoking. It was a fairly easy read without being overly simplistic. It is a definite must read for introverts and extroverts alike.


No comments:

Post a Comment