Tuesday 2 December 2014

The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson Illustrated by Axel Scheffler

1013383
from goodreads
5 stars

The year is winding down. And though the holiday season is gearing up, I feel eerily relaxed. Perhaps I am missing something or forgetting about something. I don't know. I hope not. But it is such a nice feeling that when you can be relaxed about things. That does not mean to say that everything is ready for Christmas, but rather, I have this feeling that everything will turn out okay.

I am in the process of making some presents currently. And it has been fun. I haven't been reading as much, but I have been enjoying re-watching one of my favourite BBC mini-series Hamish Macbeth. I think when I start to sew I will listen to some audio books. That is always nice to do. That is how I read The Book Thief and reread the Harry Potter series. The orators are so good. They bring a whole other dimension to the story. It is just magical. I still remember how emotional I got at the end of The Book Thief when Liesel called out "Papa". Man it was a blurry eyed moment. Do you like listening to audio books? Which is your favourite?

Synopsis

The mouse took a walk in the deep dark woods, and to all the animals he looked tasty and good. Then he meets a Gruffalo.

My Thoughts

I have read, and read, and read, and read, and read this book to my kids and man, they love it and so do I. The rhythm and the poems are so top notch. I love putting different voices to the different animals. I love how saavy that mouse is. I love the pictures and illustrations, I love everything about this book.

I love how the mouse thinks he has outwitted all these other animals by inventing the Gruffalo and then all of the sudden he runs into one. Yet does that keep him down, nope, the mouse just rolls with it and in the end enjoys a nice acorn without anyone bothering him. My kids love it when the mouse meets the Gruffalo.

I don't know what else to really say about it other than it is just top notch. It is one book that I can stand to read over and over again, and that is saying something. I just love it so much.

So, if you haven't read it yet, well get on it. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. The Gruffalo is one of my favourites too. I'm busy re-watching Dowton Abbey; getting ready for season 5 in January!

    ReplyDelete